Saturday, September 5, 2009

Long awaited Wine Bottle Balancer

I finally have a grapevine design! I started with a drawing of a leaf and grape cluster my daughter drew for me. Then I took the drawings and traced sections onto a paper template and added the vines. Then my dad suggested using carbon paper to copy the drawing onto wood using a chopstick. Awesome idea and everything worked great!

I never could have drawn something this good on my own so thanx Sam! :> Here's what I ended up with:

Carbon copied drawing

Wood burned


I wanted these to be a dark stain to show the grain patterns so I stained a plain piece with Rosewood and it looks really nice!!


I tried the Rosewood stain on the wood burned piece and think it's too dark and you really can't see the design. Will pick up some tung oil and see what that looks like.

Here's an early prototype where I was playing with the angle and length:


I'd like to have a variety of at least 3 products before I start posting for sale. Thinking of the Wine Bottle/Glasses Caddy next...

~~
Feel free to leave a comment with likes/dislikes about the products or other woodworking ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment